The aim of aromatherapy is to rebalance the body, mind and spirit by applying special plant extracts called essential oils and aromatic essences to the body. These powerful substances are chosen for their specific healing properties and their aroma.
In aromatherapy massage, a few drops of essential oils are diluted in vegetable carrier oils, which are chosen for their own beneficial properties. Massage has the added benefit of touch, and by applying certain techniques energies within the body can be balanced. These include lymph drainage to help detoxify the body, and working with meridians and acupressure points.
What are the benefits of Aromatherapy Massage?
Aromatherapy Massage improves blood circulation and lymph drainage and helps detoxify the body, relieving muscular aches and pains or stiffness, improving skin and muscle tone and allowing relaxation and alleviating causes of fatigue. It also works on a more subtle level affecting emotions and the spirit, allowing the client to view their own feelings, ailments and lives more objectively, so they can bring about positive life changes and regain a sense of well- being.
Conditions which may respond favourably to Clinical Aromatherapy:
- Skin conditions: eczema, psoriasis, dry skin.
- Circulation, muscles and joints: joint and muscular aches, pain and stiffness, poor circulation, hypertension, arthritis, rheumatism, fibromyalgia
- Respiratory complaints: asthma, catarrh, sinusitis, and coughs
- Digestive system: constipation, irritable bowel, nausea and vomiting, loss of appetite
- Menstrual problems: menopause, P. M . T., endometriosis, thrush
- Nervous system and emotions: anxiety, depression, panic, nervous tension, headaches, migraine, insomnia, chronic fatigue, sciatica, neuralgia and lack of well being. Sadness and loneliness through personal loss. Lack of confidence and self-esteem. Postnatal depression.
What will happen the first time that you come?
A client record will be taken to help choose appropriate oils and methods of application. These records will be confidential. There will follow a treatment in comfortable, private and warm surroundings. Subsequent treatments, duration and kind required will be discussed. It is helpful to have regular treatments to keep the body and mind in good health.
Who would benefit from Aromatherapy Massage?
There are a few situations where massage would not be appropriate, but in general, everyone can enjoy the healing gift of essential oils from babies to the mother-to-be, from the child to the elderly, from those who feel unwell to the healthy. If you have a serious medical condition and are receiving medication please check with your medical practitioner first.